Monday, August 16, 2010

A dirty job, but someone's got to do it

I know that many of my South African friends think I am brave to work in Africa. The images of Africa you see on television don't really motivate people to plan their next holiday destination further north than the Limpopo River. I also have to agree, the worst places I have ever been in were in Africa. Hotels with no water, no electricity, 12 television channels of which only one has a clear picture, food that forces you to go an a strict diet until you arrive home (that is if a flight is available or has not been cancelled at the last moment), insects that carry deadly diseases, corrupt officials, suspicious people staring at you like you are the only soul around that's loaded with money, the list goes on. But there is a different side to Africa too, the side I don't usually like to show people because it has the opposite effect on people. They start getting envious and don't feel sorry for you anymore. So my intention is not to say too much about this, who would believe me in any case if I tell them I had cocktails on a beach in Dar Es Salaam and actually enjoyed it? As they say, one pictures speaks more than a thousand words, so all I am going to do is show one picture of the hotel I was staying in. Africa might have a place for sissies after all......

No comments:

Post a Comment