Saturday, September 5, 2009

From Fleas to Favourites

I don't know where the word fleamarket comes from and Wikipedia's explanation does not satisfy my curiosity either. From the first time I heard the word I couldn't help but think of those little creatures that jump on you and make you scratch more than your dog usually does . Maybe it does indeed have something to do with scratching, but more like scratching between stuff that you don't really want until you find something that you actually convince yourself you do really need. I don't particularly like flea markets, too be honest. Most of the stuff you see at every flea market across the country is the same and too many people bumping against me is also something I prefer to avoid as much as possible. There are off course other markets, like arts and crafts markets. Here you will find stuff that is more unique, but not necessarily more useful. Usually it is some piece of "artwork" created by people trying to make ends meet with the little creativity they received from the good Lord. I have to believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I hardly ever find anything I do like...and if I do then you can be sure my wife will say that there is no place for that "monstrosity" in our house. A more useful type of fleamarket for me is definately the farmer's market. Here you find fresh fruit and vegetables, cakes and rusks and everything else that's good for the stomach. Everything usually cheaper than what you will pay for it in your favourite grocery store and definately much fresher. I am sure there are other markets as well which I have not mentioned here, but if you ever come to Cape Town and your love fleamarkets then there is already plenty for you to do here.

There is however one fleamarket in the Cape Town area which I would spend my entire Saturday morning if I ever do get the chance. My wife hates the scene and never wants to accompany me there, but I don't really care. Being alone gives me time to walk from one stall to the next until I am satisfied that I have laid my eyes upon everything there is to see. This is the Milnerton Fleamarket. Now according to my interpretation of what a fleamarket really is, then this should be it. I do however think that this type of fleamarket originated from what was known in the older days as a boot sale. A boot sale was a place where people put all the junk they didn't want in their car boot, parked alongside the road and tried to sell it to whoever might be interested. The prices were usually very low because there were no way that you were taking that junk back home again. I don't think Milnerton Fleamarket is a boot sale in the true sense of the word, but the stuff that you find there you won't find on any other fleamarket. Ok, you might find one or two stalls selling the same stuff, but in general all the goods are what some people might consider to be junk, but to some people it might be gold. If you have any electrical appliance in your home that needs a part and you cannot find it, I bet you will get it at the this fleamarket. You can buy the exact model for a fifth of the price you would pay just to import the part from Europe, and have the rest of the appliance for spare parts. If you ever buy any set of hand tools from a hardware shop again, believe me you would be paying more than triple than what it would be at this fleamarket. One thing I have discovered though is that not all the poeple selling "junk" sees it as junk. Some people know that there is some value in old things. I was looking for an old ordinary sickle to use as a display on my garden wall. The lady selling old garden tools as antiques asked me R55-00, the guy selling his old garden tools as junk asked me R5-00 for exactlly the same looking sickle. That is less than a can of Coke. Looking for a remote for your 10 year old TV set? You will find it here. You see the Milnerton Fleamarket sells stuff that people don't want anymore to people who is looking for something that they cannot find anywhere else. If you want a bargain or you are still looking for that missing door handle from the cupboard your grandma gave you 20 years ago then try the Milnerton Fleamarket, I am sure you will find it there. Otherwise you will at least find me there...

No comments:

Post a Comment