Monday, August 31, 2009

Flexi-hours

I had a friend years ago who worked 6 months non-stop and then travelled for 6 months. This way he was fortunate to earn a salary and to see the world at more or less the same time. To me it always felt like he was using up all his money and that he had to start from scratch again, but that was the time when I still believed that a bigger bank balance and security was more important than enjoying what the world and other people could offer you. Unfortunately I lost contact with him, but I am sure he is traveling somewhere and still enjoying what he does, and I am only starting to experience the joy of doing what you like.
I rode to work on my bike this morning, very early. It is Monday and what better way to start a new week. Or is it? I took Marine Drive which is the more scenic road to take from my house to where I work. I saw Table Mountain in its sun draped glory and the crystal blue sea and I realized that this is one of those gorgeous days in Cape Town. A day that should not go by without me "experiencing" it and showing some appreciation. I turned around and rode to Carlucci's where one can hang out with the most spectacular view on Table Mountain right in front of you. I knew I was going to be late for work, but I had something most people do not have...and that is working flexitime. You can find the benefits of flexitime and flexi-hours on many web sites, but to me it means one thing - I can stop at any time to appreciate the beauty of Cape Town, especially when it is picture perfect outside like today. I am one of the people whose mood swings fluctuates along with the weather patterns. In Cape Town the weather can do 4 seasons in one day, meaning that my mood can go from good to bad in a couple of hours. Having the opportunity this morning to sit and watch the beauty that Cape Town offers, even if it was only for a couple of minutes, changed my day from an ordinary one to an exeptional one. I watched the people stuck in their cars in the morning traffic and wondered if they ever look at the mounatin. I am sure some people do, but if they do they definately do not show it. I wondered how many would stop for 10 minutes, get out of their cars, smell the sea and get back to their busy schedules? Maybe they wanted to but they cannot be late for work, or they just want to get to their destination because the traffic drives them insane.
Nevertheless, if you EVER have to go for a job interview again and you get to the point where the big boss wants to know if YOU have any questions then there is only one thing to ask: " Can I work flexi-hours"?

No comments:

Post a Comment