Sunday, August 16, 2009

Fish & Chips

My weekend didn't start out well. Friday afternoon I was thinking of going camping, but the weather just didn't play along. Saturday was better, but soft drizzle prevented me from doing anything either, especially on my bike. Sunday came and what a glorious day. I thought the only place for me to go on such a "short notice" was to Hout Bay to have some fish & chips. The closest route from where I live to Houtbay is through Milnerton and Camps' Bay over the Suikerbossie pass straight into Hout Bay. The popular hang-out spots along the way were filled with people soaking up some of the rays from the last winter sun, and along the way quite a number of motorcyclists had the same thing in mind as I did...get out and ride! Hout Bay is a small town situated about 20 km south of Cape Town's city centre. I did not take any pictures of Hout Bay because the mist that was driven in from the Atlantice was giving the whole picture a hazy look which does not really compliment the scenery. Hout Bay is not only famous for the Chapman's Peak Drive, one of the most beautiful roads in South Africa, but also for its fish & chips.

I passed Mariner's Wharf, my first option of having fish & chips and went straight down towards the end of the harbour area. Althought situated at a very nice spot next to the small fishing harbour, Mariner's Wharf is more frequented by tourist, a little bit more expensive and usually very overcrowded. So I headed straight down the road to Fish on the Rocks. I always buy my fish and chips here because I like the setting more than the one at Mariner's Warf and although usually crowded as well, you can still get your meal very quickly and go sit on the rocks if you cannot find an empty table. Although there are more than just fish on the menu, I stick to what I like, hake and chips. For R35-00 you get hake and for R32-00 snoek. Both are well worth trying.


My plan was to go from here, sit somewhere where I could find a good view of Hout Bay and read a book. Just when I wanted to leave the restaurant I realized that I don't have my mobile phone with me. This could only mean one of two things. Either I left it at home or it fell from my pocket. Now this thought really dampened my mood, so I thought reading a book not knowing where my phone is is not a relaxing way to spend the rest of the day, so I decided to skip the book and go straight home. I still enjoyed the ride back home, especially the twisties between Llandudno and Camp's Bay. When I arrived home I was relieved to find my mobile phone where I left it while looking for my bike's spare key. Oh, that was another story, but let's not go there... Anyway, finding my phone didn't really make up for the fact that my whole day was already ruined. Unfortunately not a weekend to remember. But, like they say, the sun will shine again...and who knows what next weekend has in store....

No comments:

Post a Comment