Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oh Such a Perfect Day

I was supposed to leave for Angola tomorrow. Needles to say some incompetent "being" prevented me from getting my visa in time. When you send the same incorrect invitation letter to a Consulate that doesn't budge an inch or knows that there is NO way for you to get to Angola unless THEY make it happen, then your chances of any luck is very limited. So, unfortunately my trip has been postponed for another week, but fortunately it allows me an extra week at home....and at home is where you want to be when the weather is just perfect. Today was such a day.....

I woke up early because my son still determines at what time we HAVE to get out of bed..and we also had a breakfast planned with friends at Carluccis. Even at 8 o' clock we could see that it was going to turn out to be an awesome day. After breakfast we headed to the beach but didn't stay long because my wife had to go to the airport to pick up my mother-in-law. By 11 the temperature were already near the 30's and with no wind there was only one place to be....in the water. I chose the pool at home to spend the rest of the day in, but many Capetonians opted for the beach. At around 4.30 I took the bike for a spin at the beach and took some pictures with my cell phone.


Definitely one of the most awesome views in the world. Table Mountain at the back with the Sely 1 stuck in the sand close to shore. The Sely 1 drifted towards Blouberg in September last year during bad weather and even though the newspapers said that it would take about a week or two to pull it out, it has been lying there for over six months now.  They are still trying to remove the coal that is on board, but the latest news is that the ship is starting to crack and that it will never be used again. What they are going to do with it and when it will be removed still remains a mystery. One good thing about the stranding is that the waves have been altered due to the position of the ship. This has become a very popular spot for stand-up paddle boarders and even the shape of the waves have improved. Today waves of around 4 to 5 feet came through in sets that were obvioulsy enjoyed by plenty of surfers. When you take a picture from this beach on normal days you would hardly find people on the beach. Today it was crowed.

This is also here on this "deserted" beach (on week days) where I witnessed a guy selling drugs to a youngster on Friday morning. I phoned the police but couldn't get through. What's new? The dude selling the drugs ran away after I told him to "run otherwise...." and the youngster disappeared to where he's probably getting high on "some good stuff" as the dealer described it to him. Sad to see these things happen on your favourite beach but I guess it does happen. 

Unfortunately this picture was taken against the sun, but one can still see the amount of people on Big Bay beach. This is where we usually bring our little surfer boy to come play in the rock pools because there are usually not many people coming to this beach, but today this placed was packed as well. There is one thing about the Atlantic Coast that we cannot rave about and that is the cold water. Today people were actually forced to get into the water. When I took this picture the temperature on my bike's thermometer reading was 35.5 degrees Celcius. Cape Town is really a wonderful place and when the weather plays along it becomes an extraordinary place.

No comments:

Post a Comment