Monday, March 1, 2010

Taking on the Argus

My wife has decided to do something different this year, so she decided at the last minute to do the Argus. For those of you that don't know what the Argus is, it is called The Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour and is an annual 109 km cycle race hosted in Cape Town. With approximately 40,000 cyclists taking part, it is the world's largest individually timed cycle race, and is the first event outside Europe to be included in the International Cycling Union's Golden Bike Series. OK, I got this information from Wikipedia, but at least now you know how spectacular this race is. She obviously won't be the first person to pick up a bicycle a couple of days/weeks before the actual race and manage to finish it, so it can be done. Besides, she is a master at spinning and she has a history of cycling behind her, but if she was not in her early 30's I would've thought this was some mid-life crisis attemp to prove that she still has what it takes.

Last week we took her bike from the roof, a Trek dating from circa 1994, and dusted it off for the first time in approximately 12 years. Apart from the perished tyres and some rust spots, the bike still looked capable of doing the job. In 1996 we did a route of approximately 188km from Prins Albert to Mossel Bay. So I know she will have the stamina to do 109 km. What makes our feat even more impressive is that we've crossed the Swartberg Pass on our way to Oudtshoorn, and after having a burger at the Spur, we crossed the Outeniqua Pass towards Mossel Bay. A journey that took us exactly 12 hours to complete if you include the hour lunch in Oudtshoorn. The Swartberg Pass is one of the most spectacular gravel mountain passes in South Africa and definitely NOT a baby you take on for a Sunday morning fun ride. It actually makes the Argus looks a bit tamed, but I don't want to sing her praises before she actually crosses the finish line. So she knows what to expect and she knows that her biggest fear at this moment is saddle soreness which she will definitely start experiencing after the first 10 kms and a possible strong headwind. O yes, and then there is the flat tyre problem. She has never ever changed a tyre before because she always had a capable cycling partner who will not be accompanying her this year. Me. I have to admit that after inspecting her bicycle and showing her how to change a tyre, the memories came back and I am determined to dust off my bike as well and join her for some future riding. Fortunately there will be lots of road side assistance at the Argus. When we did our 188 km over mountains and through valleys the only back-up we had was my mom and dad that waited for us at certain points to see if we were not knocked over by passing motorists. We didn't have energy drinks and all the nice goodies everyone has now to mentally make them feel stronger, we only had water and I think a Lunch Bar every now and then. The Spur Burger also provided some energy.

I've always wanted to do the Argus. Not to test my endurance, but just for the fun of it. After the Swartberg Pass I don't really think that the Argus will appeal to me or prove anything, but I still think it can be lots of fun like any other fun ride. What I do think will be a challenge is the Cape Epic, but that I will leave to the men out there who has more balls than brains (with all respect guys). To my wife I just want to say good luck. I am sure the new tyres, seat and brake blocks will help...and you look stunning in your new cycling outfit.  I won't be there to witness your dash towards the finish line, I will be traveling, but my thoughts will be with you and I will celebrate with you when I get back. Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck to your wife, your'e just scared she would show you up, traveling, that's a good excuse !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree,travelling is a bad excuse! Good luck to your wife. My husband has done the argus sooooo many times,but I never had the urge to do it myself.
    Only now and in my 40's I decided to start biking!and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sterkte Tina - een jelly baby elke 15 min sal sorg vir die energie. Sien jou by die eindpunt!

    ReplyDelete