Sunday, October 24, 2010

Those colourful beach huts

If you've ever looked at a brochure about Cape Town, you must've seen them before. You actually cannot miss them, even when you just drive pass. They are colourful and they stand out. These are the beach huts that you find on some of the Cape Town beaches on the False Bay side of the peninsula. I've been living in Cape Town for more than 10 years, and I've never actually stopped to have a look at them.

Today I was driving to Boulder's beach near Simons Town when I saw a parking space right in front of St James beach near Fish Hoek. If you are familiar with the parking problems in this area, then you might understand why I decided to make use of this "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity to stop. Besides, I had my camera with me and thought that I might be able to get a nice picture or two for my blog. What I discovered was more than a picture for my blog. I discovered a beautiful little beach with a very nice tidal pool. Not a place where I would be able to surf or do kite boarding, but a very nice and save secluded beach for family outings. Just a pity about the parking problem, and the fact that these little beaches are packed during the summer months. This is nevertheless a very nice spot and I was surprized to see how well kept this beach and the ablution facilities were. I have to admit that the City of Cape Town is doing a tremendous job in upgrading the beaches and keeping them clean, and this is a good example of one.


No comments:

Post a Comment