Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Budget Breakfast Review - Chaplans

I am starting to think that my review scores should've been based on more specified criteria, with a better scoring system. It was like Carlucci's was setting the standard and now everything is either better or worse than Carlucci's. I discovered a new place which I guess depending on your preferences could be better than Carlucci's. This made me wonder about food critics in general. Even movie critics. Whatever they think is good or bad is in any case just their opinions, so I guess what  I say about the places I visit is also just an opinion. My opinion based on what I want from a breakfast and the location. Anyway, I discovered another restaurant which I suppose is more focused on lunch and dinner, but yet I was quite impressed with their breakfast. Even the setting, depsite the fact that it is situated smack bang in the middle of a shopping center, is not too bad compared to other shopping mall restaurants. At least this restaurant is in a cosy sheltered square inside a relatively small shopping complex called West Coast Village. With a play area inside with no roof cover you won't get that claustrophobic feeling of shopping malls at all, and with a jungle gym where the kids can entertain themselves it makes quite a pleasant area for parents with small kids to have breakfast. If you prefer a Mugg & Bean breakfast you can just move over to the restaurant next door which happens to be a Mugg & Bean.

However, should I have a choice between Mugg & Bean and Chaplans, I would definitely go for Chaplans. The "Kick Start" breakfast at R25 gives you basically the same as most other places in the same price range, but this breakfast is served with chips. Is there anything better than dunking a chip in egg yellow? If chips and egg is not your thing, then I guess you might do better at Carlucci's still, but this breakfast was also very nicely presented, with preserves on the side and the bread in a nice basket. My son kept himself busy on the jungle gym, and even though the view was not that pleasant, at least the food was. The only problem I had with the restaurant was the unfriendly waitress. She was very helpfull but it took me a while to get a smile out of her. The breakfast is R4 more than at Carlucci's, but with the chips I would give it the same score. Unfortunately the view and atmosphere that Carlucci's has is not there, so I will have to give it one point less.

Chaplans: 8
Mugg & Bean: 7
Wimpy: 7
Carlucci's: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment