Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Check out the chicken

My plan is not to change my blog into a cooking blog. But, I am still a semi-batchelor and my stomach still needs feeding. And just to show you that I am not biased in any way in my opinion on who makes the best outdoor cooking apparatus I have decided to give you one of my other famous recipes done on a grill designed by the Yanks themselves...the Weber grill. Give them some credit, they did make it to the moon first (or so they claim). When I received the Weber grill for my birthday a couple of years ago it was like a slap in the face, but I have given it a try (like I do with most things before I just bluntly shoot it down) and it turned me into the best chicken griller of the Western Cape. Like with my braai I like to keep the recipes simple. After all, you want to taste the meat, not just herbs and spices.

It's obvious enought that in this case you need a Weber grill and like it or not, but charcoal is the best heat source for this. I prefer free range chickens. Note, the chicken you ran over on your way from work (common in South Africa) was not free range, it was free roaming. But even this chicken will do. In this case I usually prefer to make what I call a "flattie". Will show you later how that one is done...



So to keep it basic all you do is to make a simple oil based basting sauce which contains olive oil, salt and pepper, a few drops of lazenby's Worcestershire sauce and then the main ingredient...peri-peri. Mix it and body paint the chicken from head(less) to toe(less). Make sure to paint under the wings and between the legs as well. If there is still some sauce left, I do the inside of the chicken wall-to-wall as well. When the coals are ready I place the chicken on the grill, put the lid on and Bob's your uncle. Leave it there for about 60 -90 minutes depending on the size of the chicken. Don't be too curious as to what's going on inside the Weber. Every time you open the lid you loose a lot of heat.



While waiting for this I also did a simple and basic roasted veggies. Last night I had potatoes, baby marrows, sweet patatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms and some cocktail tomatoes just for colour. (The rosemary leaves were just for decorating purposes like on real cooking blogs). My selection of veggies depends on what's available in the refrigerator and not on how the combination might compliment each other. You can add anything you like. This I cover with NoMu's Spanish and Italian rub. Use any herbs and spices that you have in your kitchen. Pop it in the oven under the grill and wait until everything is soft...especially the potatoes.



And as they say "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".  A delicious meal very basic and simple. Oh, and just to prove that I do try everything I enjoyed my meal with another American brand, a Miller Genuine Draft. Bon Apetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment