Monday, March 21, 2011

Pemba, Mozambique

If you are ever fortunate enough to visit Pemba in the northern parts of Mozambique, make sure you stay for longer than what I did. You might also have to check the weather, but even with the warm tropical thunderstorms the place has a magic feel to it. The town is very small and surprizingly well-kept. As a matter of fact, one of my first observations in Mozambique on  previous trips was that people seem to have a lot of pride in their homes and surroundings. Here it is the same. All the little houses have very nice fences all made with local wood and reeds and the streets are surprisingly free from rubbish. The people are very friendly and all seems to be able to understand a fair amount of English. With not many people able to afford motor cars the streets look like a Karoo town on a Sunday.

I guess the main attraction of Pemba is the warm ocean with tropical reefs and crystal clear water. Any scuba diver's dream. The hotel where I was staying was doing boat trips to nearby islands for snorkeling and scuba diving at very reasonable prices. For me unfortunately I had to snorkel opposite the hotel as I had no time for leisure boat trips, I was there for work and less play. I did however take some time to walk on the beach and check out the water. I will definitely come back and explore a bit more.

I took some pictures with my little point-and-shoot, but it was overcast with not much sun and raining most of the time. I am sure with a better camera, better weather and more time one would be able to capture more of the beauty of this place than what I could this time. Here are some pictures to give an idea of this tropical paradise. I hope to visit this place again soon. I will be more prepared this time for all the nice things it has to offer....


I stayed at the Pemba Beach Hotel and Spa which has a very colonial atmosphere. It is the biggest hotel in Pemba and probably the nicest as well. Like in many African countries north of South Africa seafood is cheap compared to other meat and needless to say I made sure that I had a good helping. Oh, and I didn't miss my opportunity for a nice breakfast either.

The Pemba Beach Hotel

Breakfast - Bacon and Eggs

Lunch - Calamari and Chips

Dinner - King Prawns and Chips

Or you can do "Red Fish" and Chips. Lobster was not available at time of request, but apparently just as good.

And what would all the above be without the taste of a local beer, "Dois Em"?

Bom Apetite!

1 comment:

  1. We stayed at Pemba beach hotel for 4 days in winter. The superior courtyard rooms are really clean and comfortable with lovely balcony, The service is very efficient, staff is very friendly and helpful. Here you can do other activities too like fishing and diving. Overall it was a very nice stay.

    ReplyDelete