Sunday, April 17, 2011

No Moonligthing as a photographer

Tonight we had a beautiful full moon in Cape Town. I have never taken any pictures of the moon, or let me rather put it this way.... I have some pictures where the moon features in the background, but is usually just look like a white spot. So tonight I decided to see if I could improve my photography skills in moon capturing. My first couple was yet again white spots on a pitch black background, so I decided to go for the Internet and see if i could find some tips. Eventually I had the following: tripod, timer ("mirror lock-up" didn't work), ISO 100, F5.6, shutter speed 1/250 and a 70-300mm lens. And of course my Canon EOS 400D camera. There was a remarkable difference between my first and my last shots, but somehow I still couldn't get the focus right. I can see from the pictures that the moon's surface is not smooth like a baby's bum, but the focus was not good enough to show the detail as I would've likes to see it. I tried Manual Focus but that was worse than Auto Focus. Maybe with another lense, or maybe I still did something wrong, but after about 50 shots this is the best I could come up with. Maybe someone can give me more tips....

No comments:

Post a Comment