Saturday, February 12, 2011

Breakfast Review - Fabulous Baker Boys

OK, I have removed the "budget" from my breakfast reviews. After doing a couple of places already I realized that for budget there is only one place to go. Besides, so many good places do breakfasts, but they are usually not aimed at poor surfer dudes like me. So from now on I will just call it "Breakfast reviews", and maybe try something other than bacon and eggs as well. I know there are some vegetarians that don't really appreciate my love for meat, but like someone once said, "I didn't fight my way up along the food chain just to become a vegetarian." But, I might just have a look at other options as well, depending on how I feel on the day.

So, my last breakfast was at the Fabulous Baker Boys in Milnerton. The place, despite facing the busy Koeberg Road is not easy to spot, a little hidden away behind the security fence, but I saw it while looking for the Garmin shop and decided to do my next breakfast there. OK, let me just get straight to the point. I didn't like the place and will never return. There weren't many people there, and I get the impression that this is much more a drinking place for men who prefer to take a few shots before they can face their wives after a hard day's work. The bar section looks a bit more thought through than the dining area. The interior design looks like a stage setup for a school play, and although the single waitress was friendly, when we left she wasn't left with much of a tip for her "great service". So, I had bacon and eggs, what else? I was a bit hungry, so I opted for the Baker Boys Special at R34.50. Had I known what I was about to receive, I would've gone for the Morning Delight at R24.50 and skipped the bacon. Or headed straight for Carlucci's. There was nothing wrong with the food, but if I think that I can get the same for R20 at Carlucci's, then I wasted my money. If you need a place to take a beer after work and don't really care much about the interior design, then this is the place for you. For breakfast I suggest you keep on driving and find a better place. It gets a 4. Not very "fabulous" if you ask me. Oh, and the coffee tasted horrible.



Fabulous Baker Boys: 4
Caveau: 8
CaffeNeo: 8
Porter Estate Produce Market: 8
BICCCS: 4
BigBlu: 10
Farmyard Farmstall: 6
Chaplans: 8
Mugg & Bean: 7
Wimpy: 7
Carlucci's: 9

2 comments: