Saturday, February 26, 2011

2011 Cabrinha Nomad

OK, so for those who has not heard the good news, I have just bought a new smaller kite for stronger wind conditions. I took my broken spreader bar in for replacement and walked out not only with a new spreader bar, but also with a new black-&-blue 2011 7m Cabrinha Nomad kite. OK, it only happened the next day after I got permission from our household's "Minister of Finance", but it was quick decision nevertheless. I got it at such a bargain price that I could not say no, so now I have two kites, a 10m Cabrinha Switchblade for lighter conditions and a 7m Nomad for stronger conditions. This mean that I can double my "water time" and not have to sit out while the other guys are having fun in stronger conditions. More time in the water also means faster progression. I am still very far from doing kiteloops and whatever the good guys call all those fancy tricks, but I have already reached a point where I know that having two kites would not only give me more water time as mentioned, but a smaller kite will give me better manoeuvrability and ability to learn new tricks. The Cabrinha Nomad is a very fast kite with a quick turning ability and apparently perfect for wave riding. I mean, what more do I need? The only problem now is that we are fast reaching the end of the kiting season and approaching a long windless winter with frontal rain and darkness after 5pm. This does not give me much time to start practicing the coolest kite surfing move I have ever seen, and no, it is not the "nuclear grab hook and pop" or the insane "psycho kiteloop", it is a tail sliding technique called "The Darkslide". It just looks so cool, I am sure it will wow the crowds on the beach (after I've equally entertained them with a couple of hard crashes and salt enemas). So, my goal for next year is to perfect this trick. All I need now is more time in the water, lots of optimism and a photographer to capture this move once I have perfected it....

7 comments:

  1. beautiful kite, I just ordered mine, should receive it in 10 days, I got colour 11 reverse of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. Read my review of my new kite a bit further up. The bar and lines I received (new IDS system) I don't like too much, it didn't allow me for good control, I might have to change some settings. But when I used my old lines that I was familiar with it provided awesome handling and control. I am really pleased with my kite. Let me know your opinion when you had yours in the water...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! I just got mine today (finally), I am really stoked about it, the bridles seem to be setup a bit differently, what adjustments did you make on yours if any? going to try it outside tommorow and get a couple of pics.. the colour/color combination of blue urban pattern on solid black is really nice.. the light coming through it will look nice.
    leo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leonel. Glad to hear. I did not make any adjustments (just yet). What I did find was that with the bar as it was, I could not handle it as well as my other kite. The bar was too close to my body, so when i pulled it back, I pulled it all the way to the release system without having any effect on the kite self. In other words, it seemed like the back lines were too long. I tried it with my other lines and it worked perfectly. So, what I need to do is to also take it to the beach, connect the new lines and see what adjustments I have to make to sort that little problem out. I still have not given any attention to it, but I will do it soon. Let me know if you have similar issues. What i can say, I LOVE the kite!

    ReplyDelete

  5. Great post. I was once checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specially the closing part. I maintain such information much. I was once seeking this specific information for a very long time. Many thanks and best of luck.


    Charleston kitesurfing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative and useful historical post. I see you have a lot of other cool stuff available at your website, simply bookmarking it to check in spare time. Thanks and keep the good work up.

    Kiteboarding School SC

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well!

    Buy Kitesurfing Kites

    ReplyDelete